What is God calling you to do? Do you have a dream that God has placed on your heart? Do you believe that God can use you to change the world? Check out these six brief stories shared by Doug Fields at a student leadership conference (article found here).
1. At the young age of 9, Austin Gutwein started shooting free throws to raise money. At first they he raised $3,000.00 for poverty-stricken families around the world. Now, his organization is called Hoops of Hope and has raised over $3,000,000.00 for schools, water wells, and community development in Africa.
2. When Alex was just 4, she started a lemonade stand and raised $2000.00 in one day! She passed away 4 years later (2004), but by then she had raised $1,000,000.00 for cancer research (all through lemonade stands). Currently, the non-profit has raised over $60,000,000.00.
3. In 7th grade, Zach Hunter started a movement called Loose Change To Loosen Chains, a student-led effort to raise funds and awareness to end global slavery. Since its inception, the non-profit has become a global success.
3. In Haiti, “Blare’s Bears” started after the massive earthquake in 2010. Blare received over 50,000 bear donations to bring to the children in Haiti.
4. Brothers Jackson & Tristen Kelly started “Backpacks for New Beginnings” in 2009. Since then, they’ve raised over $10,000.00 and donated 400 filled backpacks (with school supplies) for low-income families in Boston.
5. Peter Larsen, age 17, wanted to bring awareness to the homeless in his community. He raised $100.00 to sleep outside. Last year he raised $120,000.00.
6. Team Winter was started by Winter, who’s father was diagnosed with prostate cancer – she wanted to raise money, fund research, and help find a cure. So she runs in triathlons almost every weekend around the world to raise money & has raised over $400,000.00.